Even as the US government was threatening shutdown of its own, there was news again this past week of more opera companies suspending seasons, and symphonies filing for bankruptcy; in the UK, eyebrows were being raised over the recent Arts Council of England cuts. All of which has resulted in a great deal of activity in the press and blogosphere which needs to be shared and rather than paraphrase, I'm taking the liberty of linking to some of these articles and interviews. Much food for thought.
- From the Guardian Stage blog: Why do some theatre critics seem to be enjoying the arts cuts?
- Kevin Spacey speaks to Chris Matthews on MSNBC
- An open letter to the US Government from Tim Robbins
- Patrick Stewart and colleagues present a petition to Downing Street
- From Dan Rebellato's blog, "Spilled Ink": Cuts
- (added Monday 4/11) Everday Opera: Arts Funding - We're Talking Numbers