Skip to main content

Interests and distractions: a Blogroll

True confession: I finally started following Twitter. I made an account a while back but didn't quite catch on to how it worked, and it's only now that I've been making a point of checking it regularly. (You can find me @MezzoMG if you're interested in following.)

After two weeks of active participation, while I can see how it could be a potential time drain - especially since so many of the accounts I follow are linked out to articles, news stories and blogs - it has also drawn my attention to some really interesting things I might have missed otherwise. So with that in mind, in no particular order, a blogroll of some sites which have recently caught my interest:

  • A Hit, a Very Palpable Hit (@vlavla).
    I found this linked off an article about the Hamlet, John Simm, but the blog itself is a wonderful account of what we all go through as performers as we put together a significant show. Excellent stuff.

  • I Value the Arts (@ivaluethearts)
    Widely circulated through social media at its launch a few days ago. Even though I'm not currently in the UK, I most assuredly support the venture, and encourage everybody to check them out! I'd love to see a similar campaign here in the US.

  • Skydiving for Pearls
    I had the pleasure of working with Abigail during the summer, and can only say that however interesting this lovely lady sounds in her blog, she's even more so in person.

  • Intermezzo (@inter_mezzo)
    Anybody in Operaland has probably heard of the recent furore between Intermezzo and The Royal Opera House over the use of promotional pictures on blogs and social media sites (in the end resolved without prejudice, happily), but check out their website for more than just the updates on that.

  • Cindy Sadler of "The Next 100 pounds" has started a second blog of more general writings called (appropriately enough!) "Ramble Away"

  • Sharon Blance Image Workshop (@imageworkshop)
    For the photographers among us, a blog with some wonderful lighting tips and behind-the-scenes videos to enjoy from Sharon Blance, a Canadian based in New Zealand.

  • The Retronaut (@theretronaut)
    Photos, articles, and recreations about everything from days gone by. Some astonishing film and photographic footage from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and a wonderful site to explore again and again.

Comments