Skip to main content

Well hello there

Firstly, given the sight that greeted me this afternoon (picture) I think it's fair to say that my roses really liked spending February buried in 6ft of snow, and I suppose the current wet and warm (but not too warm) conditions must be agreeing with them too!

They've put on a spectacular show in the last couple of days, and it's pretty exciting to see what I had envisioned when I planted them three years ago! They stretch up the entire length of fence on the west side of the house, and there's another swathe of them at the back as well. I'm amazed! I'd never thought of myself as a "real" gardener before I started The Great Rose Project in 2007 so it's even more satisfying.

In the meantime, starting the countdown towards the next gig - and I can't deny I'm looking forward to the role, and the many surrounding events which will be going on around me concurrently: in addition to operatic performances, this festival will offer a lot of interesting art exhibits, theatre, dance, chamber music, recitals and film to explore while I'm there, which sounds like absolute heaven to me - I can't wait!

Of course, my extended absence will undoubtedly cause logistical complications at home, but we'll work it out somehow; I anticipate spending a lot of the next month mapping out schedules to try and keep ahead of how things will work while I'm gone..... I'm not sure if it gets easier or more complicated as our daughter gets older. She needs less "hands on" care than she did when she was little, but she has more of her own events and activities which require transport and planning! Swings in roundabouts, I guess.

At least with school/college schedules a little lighter as we move into the summer sessions, we'll be able to enjoy some family time and a slightly slower pace for the weeks until I leave. We all need it after a busy spring, I think.

Comments