Skip to main content

I was glad

Gladioli (and a dahlia) from the garden....

Comments

Beach Bum said…
Lovely! Did you take those outside? How'd you get the black background?
Madeleine G. said…
Actually, they were in a vase on my dining room table - there was light coming in from the window which caught my fancy and started me snapping.

Some were taken with my 1.8 50mm fixed, others with my 28-105; in both cases, I tried to avoid using them at maximum aperture (which tends to be soft), although I let the camera go to wide open on a couple just to see how they turned out. Black background was simply the result of shooting in that light senza flash and with shallow depth of field, I'm assuming.

I want to know how you got the portraits you shot SO clean and sharp-edged - what's the maximum aperture on that zoom of yours - it takes STUNNING picture. I have an older Canon 70-210 which I love (although not an L, it's much higher quality than some similarly-priced newer lenses), but even that isn't getting the kind of clarity you captured in what looks like fairly soft light. Impressive!