Skip to main content

It's days like today...

... where the double life gets hard.

The show is pretty much on its feet and, while it would be foolish to be overconfident (not only is there "always one more glitch", but there is ALWAYS something to improve, refine and take further!), I'm comfortable with everything I have to do and looking forward to each of the next rehearsals to get up there and DO it. Particularly now that the allergy problems have been resolved after a visit to the doctor here last week I can relax and just get on with the job, which is a good mental state to be in for the final rehearsals. (For the record, it turned out to be not only seasonal allergies, but a lingering low grade pneumonia/bronchitis I didn't even know I HAD. But infection it must have been since 5 days of antibiotics and I'm good as new with my voice back to pristine health - thanks Dr Rubin!)

But with things onstage feeling fairly settled, I don't have so much to keep my mind busy and I...er... Start To Think. Suddenly the list of things I have to do when I get home starts to look daunting, but I can't do much about it from here so I just keep adding to the list and trying to refine it so I can hit the ground running, particularly as far as my students are concerned since they will be right into their final week of the term and will need as much of my time as I can give them.

My daughter's birthday is the day after I get back - her gifts are at home (although not yet wrapped), but I still find myself looking around here in the hope of picking up a few more little trinkets and fun things for her. But then... how to get them home? The airline changes its baggage rules on May 1st, and thus one can only take ONE checked bag without a surcharge (despite the fact my originating journey was before the change, of course, so who knows HOW that may play out). So what can I do for her special day, a day which, much though I'd like to make it exclusively hers, is already going to be somewhat invaded by other professional commitments?

Then there's yesterday's news about this local Gypsy Moth invasion and what appears to be the damage to our yard - will there be any trees left by the time I get home? What do I DO about it?

Plus a host of other things, largely things I can't take any kind of action on from here and thus can only think about... which leads to my running round in circles! Kind of mental freefall.

I suspect I'm no different than any other working mom, regardless of whether it's home or away, but it still makes for an interesting hamster-cage in my head! Once I get into the theater it's easy since I then switch my focus back to the job at hand, but these long days (we're only rehearsing in the evenings now we're in the theater) have a lot of time to think. It's dangerous!

Comments